Saturday, September 17, 2011

Madelyn's bike accident

Madelyn had a major bike accident today.

She took a right hand turn without slowing down first. Her tricycle tipped with her on it, sending her face first into the pavement before rolling her right over.

I tried to keep a calm demeanor as I picked her up off the pavement. Inside, I was terrified!

She immediately let out a wail, which was totally expected. It was quite the spill. To her credit, like she always does, she recovered very quickly, and wanted to go home to get a band aid. Her finger was covered in blood.

Before bed, I asked Madelyn about the tricycle incident. Her recollection was quite different than mine, and it painted her in a better light, which I thought was adorable. Now, we're all guilty of embellishing stories, or painting embarrassing moments from our past in a better light when we retell stories. Here's Madelyn's moderately inaccurate recollection of the accident.

According to her, her tricycle tipped over.

And then she said "Oh No! Why did I do that!?"!

Really?! Because that's not what I heard, unless something was lost in translation in the "WWWWWEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!" she screamed!

I'm not posting this to make fun of our little trooper. To the contrary - she cried for less than 20 seconds before sucking up her pride and politely asking if we could go home and get a bandaid for the bloody finger. A lot of kids her age would wail and whine for an hour.

I just fell in love with her slightly different version of events.

Donovan

No comments: