Friday, August 31, 2007

You gave us quite the scare, little one!

Wednesday, August 29th - 3:30am.

I got up to pee (because, that's all I seem to be doing now!). The day before, I had developed a cold, so I was doing a lot of sneezing and coughing. Anyhoo, since I was up and my nose was stuffy, I decided to attempt to blow my nose - and that's when I felt the pain.

A horrible, stabbing, cramp-like pain, right across my lower abdomen. I couldn't stand up straight. It was pretty sharp.

Had I pulled something? Did I injure the baby somehow?

Donovan wanted to go to the hospital right off the bat, but I didn't want to overreact, so we phoned Health Links - of course, they're not about to take any chances, and strongly recommended we call an ambulance immediately because it sounded as though I required emergency medical attention. No bleeding, just a cramp - I thought the nurse on the phone was over-the-top. I tried to stand up again, and I could this time, but now the pain had moved to my left side. I decided, "This is our baby, I'm NOT taking any chances!"

So we got dressed and took off for the hospital.

The nurse there, in obstetric triage, strapped a belt around my belly and with little Doppler pads, located the heartbeat. A good, strong heartbeat! Phew! And we could even hear the kicks (it was neat to hear what I felt - an amazing sensation!).

After a few tests, I was cleared to go. No definitive reason was offered as to why I was feeling the pain - ligaments stretching, perhaps? Or it might even be related to any scar tissue I may have from my surgery (since my internal damage is on my left, and that's where the pain was now). I was just told to stay off my feet and rest for the next few days.

And that's just what I've been doing.

That, and revelling in the glory of our little Ukrainian dancer kicking and poking about in my belly!

What a scare we had! But everything's ok - I can see now I'm definitely going to be one of THOSE mothers....y'know, the one who, when their child is 16, shows up at their school with a pair of mittens for them to wear in the middle of spring, "Just in case you pick up something hot!"

I can't wait!

No comments: